Sunday, October 14, 2012

Pergola Posts

For this design I decided to use mortise and tenon joinery with one inch pegs holding the structure together.  I oversized the header to 2X10 in the hopes that I could eliminate the need for corner braces.  I also oversized the rafter at the post to 2x7 for the same purpose.

The mortises are first drilled then chopped square.  Working for a very tight fit as this wood is wet and everything will shrink as it dries.

 
 I used a 2x4 piece to test fit the mortise - they are snug!





I had thought to peg the joists to the rafters but decided that notching would provide more anti racking structue so I milled the notches - again as tight as I could and still get the structure to go together.

 I suspect I will wind up pegging these as they dry out and the notches loosen up.







With the test fit in the driveway - everything is tight and square with the roof structure.

 

 Funny how easy this is on the flat level ground.  Lets see how it is in the air . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment